Friday, August 26, 2011

I've found my direction

After a week in Montreal (yes, this is my first stop), today, at last, I've found my direction. I don't know if Montrealers do have a really great sense of humor or they just do it to confuse the outsider, the thing is, directions in this city are difficult to find: the north is east, the east south, the south west and, of obviously, the west is in the north! The funniest thing is that metro and bus lines, and even streets are named after these particular cardinal points. That is, if you want to head to the south (your south), you have to take the line that goes west, and the Montreal district called Montréal North is actually at the east, and don't forget that the sun comes up from the south :-) Can you believe it?

à Québec, no doubt

However, after a week going uptown and downtown, from left to right, I think I've found my direction. In my case, the compass points to the west, that is the direction I have to take to get to the streets Fairmount or St-Viateur. Do these names sound already familiar to you?

Fairmount Bagels

St-Viateur Bagels

This is where two of the probably most known bagel bakeries in town are. Thanks to the important Jewish community in Montreal, one of the oldest and biggest Jewish communities in Canada, it is easy to find traditional Jewish products and dishes. Since both of them are a just a short walk from home, and they are open 7/24, it was the perfect morning walk during the first days in Montreal when, due to jet lag, I was awake at untimely morning hours.

St-Viateur Bagels

Montreal Bagels

Bagels are not everything, I know, so there will be new things in next posts. My good friend in Montreal Arantza and I will sacrifice ourselves for you and go out there to try many other things of the Belle Province, and write about it.

If you are still curious and want to know what else I do in Montreal, you can always visit the flickr gallery which I try to update every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment